Quirky Facts about America
‘I recognise every word, but I have no idea what you’re saying’ Pennsylvania Dutch language, which isn’t actually Dutch…
What’s a Cajun? The Acadian history of current day Cajuns
Is it soda or pop? 27 different maps on the different way Americans do things
Unique Stories from American History
Multicultural America – a great listing of almost all subgroups of Americans and their history in America
Go for Broke – History of the All Japanese-American 442nd Regimental Combat Team, WW2
Who Built America’s Railroad? A brief article on the Chinese laborers who helped build America’s railroads.
Mohawk Dutch – Interesting little nugget of history about the Mohawk Dutch and the interaction and languages spoken in the early 1600’s when the Dutch were in America.
Palatine Germans in America – How the wars in Europe led these Palatine Germans to America.
- How Kogi BBQ’s story is (almost) the classic American immigrant story. How Korean American Roy Choi kickstarted the food truck craze, and put Korean fusion tacos on the American culinary map for good.
- Americanized Chinese food, does it get any more American than egg foo young, whatever that is?
- Cecilia Chiang, an icon of Chinese food in America. Her documentary makes you drool.
- West Virginia’s Italian heritage.
- Black Eyed Peas, a southern new year’s tradition? In case you’re hankering to try it, here are 20 recipes for you!
- Peanut Butter, a truly American icon.